Wednesday 19 September 2018

Wednesday Wisdom; Homophobia

I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're an asshole.


Yesterday the former SesameStreet writer claims that Bert and Ernie are gay. SesameStreet Workshop quickly denied this. But why? It is clearly so obvious to everyone who ever watched Sesamestreet anyway! And what's wrong with teaching kids that love is love?

After I tweeted yesterday that I was happy they came out I got a lot of likes, retweets but also a lot of hate from the so called 'adults' (mostly American) who were angry about a sexual orientation of a puppet, no a gay orientation because it is perfectly normal of course that Kermit and Miss Piggy are all lovey dovey. Those haters were also all 'Christians', which doesn't surprise me in the least.
I've been on Twitter long enough to know that the American Christians have a pretty messed up view of the world and how it should be.

As a kid I grew up with an aunt who was a lesbian and lived with a woman. It was the 70s and we kids thought it was normal. My dad's uncle was gay and had a male partner. As soon as it became legal (and might I add that the Netherlands was the first country in the whole world who made it legal!) they got married. 
Kids don't think it is weird if they see all kind of role models. Kids don't discriminate, they don't get crazy ideas in their heads if you don't put them there.
So there is absolutely nothing wrong with a puppet showing kids that love is love.
Perhaps it's just what we needed; teaching kids that, instead of corrupting their little minds with more hate. 

© KH

No comments: