Sunday 23 July 2017

Music on Sunday; Musicians who committed suicide

A few days ago the sad new reached us that yet another singer has committed suicide. I must admit that I did listen to some of the band's songs but I wasn't one of their big fans. Still, it is always very sas when someone takes his or her own life for some reason. So for today an ode to those who we lost by committing suicide which I think is never the answer;

to quote Sherlock;  
Taking your own life. Interesting expression, taking it from who? Once it's over, it's not you who'll miss it. Your own death is something that happens to everyone else. Your life is not your own, keep your hands off it.

This is probably how everyone is feeling now; numb... 
Chester Bennington - the frontman for alt rock band Linkin Park - hung himself in his Los Angeles County home on July 20.




I must admit I'm not the biggest Nirvana fan, but my sons are; 
Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain killed himself with a shotgun in the guest house of his Seattle home on April 5, 1994.


I don't understand it myself how I missed this band when I was in my teens but I did; 
Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis hung himself in his Manchester kitchen at the age of 24 in 1980.


In 1988 I saw them at a festival in Belgium 
INXS singer Michael Hutchence choked to death in an apparent suicide in 1997. 



This is one of my favourite songs and I really didn't know until now that singer Brad Delp had committed suicide in 2007! 


Emerson, Lake and Palmer co-founder Keith Emerson committed suicide in 2016 at the age of 72. He reportedly shot himself because he could no longer perform perfectly due to nerve damage in his right hand.


© KH


2 comments:

MelodyK said...

Triest hè, als je bedenkt hoe rot zo iemand zich voelt.

Mooie verzameling muziekstukken die nooit meer hetzelfde klinken...

xxx

Kati said...

Ja zeker triest gelukkig hebben we de muziek nog.

xxx