Conwy Suspension Bridge, was one of the first road suspension bridges in the world. Located in the medieval town of Conwy in Conwy county borough, North Wales, it is now only passable on foot. The bridge is now in the care of the National Trust. It originally carried the A55 road from Chester to Bangor.
Built by Thomas Telford, the bridge is a suspension bridge spanning the River Conwy next to Conwy Castle, a World Heritage Site.
Built into the rock on which Conwy Castle stands, it is very close to the castle, and narrow at only 2½ metres across. Part of the castle had to be demolished during construction in order for the suspension cables to be anchored into the rock.
The bridge was superseded by a new road bridge built alongside in 1958. As of 1991 the A55 road goes through the Conwy Tunnel instead, bypassing the town entirely. The 1958 bridge remains in use by local traffic.