Thursday 26 November 2015

Treasures of Britain; cemeteries

Brookwood, Woking, Surrey

I don't know why but I'm crazy about old cemeteries. Especially those in Great Britain. The old (sometimes very old) gravestones tell each their very own story. The lovely statues, angels, crosses and others... I just don't know what it is that makes me want to go there everytime I'm across the canal. So today just some impressions of those lovely little gems.

Iona Abbey, Scotland
Duncan, the Scottish king murdered by Macbeth in 1140, is reputed to be buried here, along with 47 other Scottish kings and a number of Scottish saints. 

 Angels at the Arnos Vale Cemetery, Bristol

 Highgate cemetery London

Highgate Cemetery London

 Grave of Dante Gabriel Rossetti; All Saints Birchington, Kent

I've been here, a grave not befitting of a King... sad
King Arthur's grave, Glastonburry Abbey

St Cuthbert's Churchyard Edinburgh

St Cuthberth's Edinburgh

St Paul's Cathedral London

St Paul's Cathedral, London

© KH


No comments: