Thursday 20 August 2015

Treasures of Britain; Tewkesbury, Cotswolds



There are a lot of UK sites on my long list of things to see and visit and the Cotswolds are part of it. The houses in Tudor style or the lovely hills I want to see it all. For now I just pick one small town; Tewkesbury.

Tewkesbury is an ancient settlement at the meeting of the rivers Severn and Avon. The surrounding rivers and flood plain have prevented the old town from expanding so that its long thin profile has hardly altered since the middle ages. Tewkesbury presents one of the best medieval townscapes in England with its fine half-timbered Tudor buildings, overhanging upperstoreys and ornately carved doorways.
Tewkesbury is renowned as having one of the best medieval black and white townscapes in the country and has much to delight the visitor. Discover the hidden charms along narrow alleyways where the eaves of crooked timber buildings nearly touch or take a leisurely cruise along the river.  
Tewkesbury is dominated by the 12th-century Abbey. Known to some as the ‘Westminster Abbey’ of the feudal barony, this beautiful building has the highest Norman tower in England as well as rich architecture and artistic heritage. Also here are the fascinating John Moore Countryside Museum, the Town Museum and the Old Baptist Chapel.


© KH

3 comments:

Gattina said...

I love these half timbered old houses ! I only know the Cotswolds from "Escape to the country" !

Anonymous said...

So do I. In fact, I believe one of the photos is from that program. I clearly remember that 'floating' whie, wooden house. But because of the program I also know this area ain't for the likes of me... You do need to be a millionaire, of close to it. Otherwise you cannot afford a house in that area. :-))

Kati said...

I love 'Escape to the Country' Gattina! :)

Elidir, You don't have to live there, only visit. ;)