Wednesday 8 October 2014

Overthinking



Your mind is a dangerous thing. It takes you places you sometimes don't want to go. Or you think things are worse than they are. Or are they?
A friend of mine hasn't been in touch for a long time and she was a very dear one, close to my heart. All of a sudden I find myself in all kind of scenarios. It's all my fault anyway or other women who used to be friends but aren't anymore are saying things to her about me that aren't true obviously and I can't defend myself.

Why does a brain do that? Why does a brain lead you to these thoughts? You clearly don't want to think like that! It's not healthy, you feel sad and anxious and it doesn't bring you closer to a solution. The constant over-analyzing brings self-doubt and more anxiety and stress in your life and body. It's just hard sometimes to get it out of your head.

One way to stop all the overthinking is to accept that you're doing just that. Acceptance is a first step.
So is forgiveness; forgive yourself. Our brain is set to overthink everything. As soon as we start to accept that and forgive ourselves we sent a message to our brain that we are starting to change our way of thinking. Turn the negative thoughts into positive ones.
Rewire your brain as it where.




Meditation can also help as can breathing. Once you feel those negative thoughts come racing in; breathe. Breathing will relax you, helps to calm you and focus on those positive thoughts. It connects you to the present moment, it grounds you and it helps to let go. Once we become frantic and our brain starts racing breathing helps to calm you and become focused again and relax body and mind.

Most overthinkers like me want to talk about their problems. I know I do all the time. But does it help you? Or do you make things worse, especially if the person you're talking to is an overthinker as well, by over analyzing things while talking about it? I find that I work myself up even more by talking about it and get more and more anxious. For me it helps more to write things down (like this blog). You don't want to keep bothering people over and over again with your negative thoughts anyway if they even want to keep listening. Writing has turned out to be very healing for me.


Practicing Mindfulness helps to heal overthinking even more. Believe that everything happens for a reason. That you are in the right place in the right time. Trust the Universe and very important; learn to listen to your inner voice. When I stopped to listen that's when the anxiety began I think.
I'm definitely not there yet not by a long shot, but I'm getting there. It's a constant work in progress.

© KH

No comments: