Friday, 16 October 2015

Art on Friday; Ophelia

On my preparation for Hamlet, where I was supposed to be going to last night but didn't (to go or not to go) I have been reading Hamlet by Shakespeare. At least I did that. Poor Ophelia. She has been a real inspiration for a lot of painters. Certainly for a lot of the Pre-Raphaelite painters, which is my favourite period!
John Everett Millais, Dante Gabriel Rossetti and William Holman Hunt founded the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood that inspired many. 

So for today's Art on Friday; Ophelia.

John Everett Millais-Ophelia
Maybe this one is the most famous of all; The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood had a muse, Elizabeth Siddal, who later became the wife of Dante Gabriel Rossetti and painted herself as well. She was lying in a bathtub for hours on end to pose for this painting getting a severe cold from it.

John William Waterhouse-Ophelia

Alfred Joseph Woolmer-Ophelia

 Arthur Hughes-Ophelia

Pierre Auguste Cot-Ophelia

Alexandre Cabanel-Ophelia

Antoine Auguste Ernest Herbert-Ophelia

Arthur Hughes-Ophelia

Thomas Francis Dicksee-Ophelia

Paul Steck-Ophelia Drowning

Paul Delaroche- La jeune martyre/Ophelia

© KH

1 comment:

Joan Stump said...

I though tof Ophelia when i saw M. Night Shamayalan's Lady in the Water several years ago- I never read if he was inspired by her.
There are going to be encore performances in the next several months- maybe you can make arrangements for one of those. I h ope so.
~joan